Over at Celebritology there's a post about the most overrated entertainers.
For me that list would include Scarlett Johannson (good in The Man Who Wasn't There, Ghost World and Lost in Translation but otherwise...), Natalie Portman, Jim Jarmusch, Woody Allen, Jack Nicholson (has he ever played a character other than "Jack Nicholson"?) and Clint Eastwood, the director.
Much more fun would be a list of UNDER-rated entertainers:
- Adam Sandler - I love him. Not every movie he's in, but definitely The Wedding Singer, Happy Gilmore, Fifty First Dates and Punch Drunk Love. And he's a genuinely loyal and nice guy from what I hear.
- Bruce Willis - In addition to the Die Hard movies (except maybe the third one, but that wasn't Bruce's fault..), Willis has excellent chemistry with kids. Check him out in Mercury Rising, The Sixth Sense and my favorite, the very underrated The Kid. Skip Color of Night. Truly terrible movie.
- John Mayer - I like his music and think his wordplay is really inspired:
Thinking bout my brother Ben
I miss him every day
He looks just like his brother John
But on an 18 month delay
Here I stand
6 feet small
and smiling cause I'm scared as hell
kind of like my life is like a sequel to a movie
where the actor's names have changed
- Ben Stiller - wrote, directed and starred in Tropic Thunder. People raved about Robert Downey, Jr., but I loved Stiller's performance as the doltish action hero. Plus the movie was funny as hell.
- Ben Affleck - I thought he actually was the best thing in the naively sappy Good Will Hunting. His nuanced performance as George Reeves in Hollywoodland and assured direction of Gone Baby Gone makes me overlook the whole Bennifer/Gigli debacle.
- Clint Eastwood the actor - Rent The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Awesome stuff.